Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Old Pots. Also Number 82

Spotted this week was a Northern Mockingbird, not a rare bird but new for us here. My delight at tallying our 82nd species here at Dryad Ranch was dampened by the fact that when spotted, it was busy poking its beak into one of our ripening pomegranates.

Even so, we're rather fond of mockers. Some years at our Bay Area place we had a mocker begin to imitate the sound of a whirligig my father had made for us and that we had placed on top of the garden shed.

This photo is of some old cookpot found in a box near a picnic spot on the other side of the river.

1 comment:

Tom Hurley said...

Very nice shot of “found things.” They look like cast iron. I’d like to drop by to admire them some day.
I saw a Stellar’s Jay here last week, or maybe a common blue jay. Now that I think of it, it didn’t make the raspy screech of a Stellar’s. Or any sound, for that matter, except the loud belch after eating half the seed I tossed out for the other birds.

Site Meter