Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Snakes. Bugs. And a Triumphal Ha! Fungus!

Ha.  Another wildlife update. 

I had an excellent opportunity to observe a healthy specimen from the reptile kingdom on the way home from work the other day.  As I was making the approach to the abandoned houses, I noticed a large rattlesnake in the middle of the road.  It was not in a hurry to get out of my way and since I rather like snakes as long as they are not trying to bite me, I had no intention of simply running over it.   Never one to rely entirely upon rationality, I honked the horn.  Amazingly, that caused the snake to begin the slow process of moving off the road into the grass.  It had just barely gotten its tail to the edge when it stopped and allowed me to pull up to look closely and admire.  It had a good sized midsectional circumference, but maybe there was a meal in there? 

Sunday morning Dino and I took a lovely walk up the hill, then down along the river, observing birds.  American Robin and Western Bluebird were particular highlights.

Dino also pointed out a big group of these water striders (Gerris remigis) in a river backwater. 


A bracket fungus of some sort.  Wow, it's September, how did this grow this time of year.  Granted, it was not far from the river.  This one was quite firm, with a slimy surface.

No comments:

Site Meter